An incredible number of people in the United States have found themselves in the position of providing senior care for an older family member. Even though serving as a family caregiver is very satisfying in many ways, the everyday tasks involved with senior care may come to be tedious for both the caregiver and the older person. Lend a Hand Home Care, providers of the trained and experienced senior care Reno residents need, wants to help you by providing tips to make caregiving more fun. All it requires is a little resourcefulness! Try some of these ideas to help brighten your loved one’s day and make daily senior care more enjoyable:
These suggestions can add some style and fun to getting dressed, doing laundry, and other chores:
- Ask the older adult to assist with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Utilize this time to discuss your day, a television show you both enjoy, etc.
- Look at magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other would look good in.
- Make selecting clothes and accessories to wear each day a fun occasion!
Spice Up Meals
Food is part of our culture, family history and customs, and is associated with many emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Including the older person in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the senior to help in making a traditional family recipe.
- Enjoying meals outdoors when weather permits.
Try Something New
There is always something new to be learned, and no better time than now to try out a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are quite a few virtual classes available, with some geared especially to seniors and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument
- Skills like knitting, culinary arts, gardening, sculpting – the choices are unlimited!
Lend a Hand Home Care, a top provider of senior care jobs in Reno, NV and the nearby areas, understands that providing care for an older loved one can be both rewarding and intimidating, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. As leading providers of trusted senior home care in Reno, we offer friendly companionship, personal care services such as showering and dressing, and encouragement to engage in a variety of fun activities.